Currently in Boston — September 23rd, 2022
Overnight tonight skies will clear and temperatures will fall down to the 40s. It looks like a very blustery and chilly Friday with temperatures 55°F to 60°F in the afternoon, coolest in the Worcester hills. Several areas will go into the 30s Friday night before rebounding to 60°F Saturday afternoon under mostly sunny skies. It turns even milder for Sunday with more sunshine and readings within a few degrees of 70°F. There may be a few showers early next week and temperatures look to be seasonable. Autumn arrives this evening at 9:03 p.m.
What you need to know, currently.
Fridays for the Future will be holding a global climate strike tomorrow, calling on leaders to take long overdue action on climate change. The organizations demands include:
- Keeping the global temperature rise below 1.5 °C compared to pre-industrial levels.
- Ensuring climate justice and equity.
- Listening to the best united science currently available.
You can view their map here to find a strike in your city.
Today, for Loss and Damage Action day, activists called on polluters to pay reparations for the harm they've caused.
"In response to climate disasters, vulnerable communities rely on adaptation measures (eg. building flood defenses such as embankments) to survive; but these efforts can only go so far," Currently's Anna Abraham wrote in August. "Based on existing emission trends, climate change has dramatically increased the number of extreme weather events, making many disasters completely unavoidable. The social and fiscal impacts of these unavoidable events are referred to as “loss and damage."
Click here to read Abraham's full article on Loss and Damage finance.
Register for tomorrow's strike here!
What you can do, currently.
- In order to solve climate change, we need to increase investments in climate solutions by 10-20 times. Carbon Collective Investing creates low fee, highly diversified, and competitively performing portfolios that are aligned with disproportionately investing in climate solutions. And now it’s Green Retirement Month, where we pay you bonuses that increase as more people sign up!
- GreenPortfolio makes it easy for you to fight climate change with your financial decisions by scoring your investments and bank accounts for climate impact so you know where you stand – are you a backer of fossil fuels or an investor in a greener future? Sign up to see the climate impact of your finances!
- Start funding climate solutions by joining our partner, Wren. More than 10,000 Wren members fund projects that plant trees, protect rainforest, and otherwise fight the climate crisis every month. Sign-up today and they’ll plant 10 trees in your name for free.